When Victoria was founded in in 1843, the city did not have an ample water supply. Residents who did not have their own wells had to rely on water cared down from Spring Ridge. As the population grew, those sources became increasingly inadequate. The city decided in 1872 to go to Elk Lake, a source that proved highly problematic for both quantity and quality. Finally, in 1911 the decision was taken to go to Sooke Lake. Victoria was connected to that source in May, 1915. Time has proven that the decision to go to Sooke Lake was a very wise one, as it assured the residents of Victoria, and now those of all 13 municipalities that make up Greater Victoria, with one of the most plentiful and secure water supply systems available to a population of its size (ca. 360,000).